ABOUT BASE 11
Base 11 is a nonprofit 501c3 STEM workforce and entrepreneur accelerator. In 2015, under the leadership of Landon Taylor, the organization set a goal to accelerate 11,000 students on their pathways to STEM degrees, jobs, and entrepreneurship. After achieving that goal in 2020 — one year ahead of schedule — Base 11 decided to scale its impact 10-fold. Through the Next Frontier Initiative, Base 11 and its partners will empower 100,000+ students, early STEM career adults, and STEM entrepreneurs on their pathway to success in Next Frontier industries by 2030.
The Next Frontier Industries featured below are the fastest growing, highest paying, with the greatest opportunities for wealth creation. Unfortunately, they are still the least represented by women and BIPOC communities. We’re out to change that!
Why the Name Base 11?
If you’ve ever counted on 10 fingers, then you’ve used base-10 without even knowing it. The base-10 number system is one of the most basic assumptions behind our current thinking in science and mathematics. Our name Base 11 signals our intent to make a disruptive departure from the status quo. To ask sharper questions, challenge conventions and simply get comfortable with being uncomfortable. By drawing out the potential of students and early career adults whose possibilities exceed their means, we are making a break with the past, pioneering a new age of promise. Base 11 crystallizes that theme in a profoundly different kind of name, for a profoundly different kind of initiative.
How We Do it!
Our Next Frontier programs, facilities, events, and easy access via Base 11 Digital all work together to provide students and early career adults with the Access, Awareness & Belief needed for accelerated STEM career success in the 21st Century!
Base 11 Digital
Base 11 Digital is an all-in-one mobile and desktop platform aimed at providing the Access, Awareness, and Belief that students and early-career adults need to succeed in the Next Frontier industries of the 21st century.
Next Frontier Events
Virtual and in-person events designed to reach and empower students, early career adults, companies, academic institutions, and non-profits with the resources, connections, and access to critical information they need to enter and/or accelerate their success in the Next Frontier Industry opportunities of the 21st Century.
- Next Frontier Conference & Expo 2020 (November 10-11, 2020)
- Next Frontier Spring Innovation Session (April 20, 2021)
- Next Frontier Conference & Expo 2021 (October 6-7, 2021)
- Next Frontier Spring Innovation Session (April 20, 2022)
Next Frontier Facilities
We provide students and early career with access to Base 11 Innovation Centers and partner facilities featuring state of the art equipment, technology, and collaboration spaces to develop real world hands on learning and prototyping experiences needed to succeed as a STEM worker and/or entrepreneur in Next Frontier industries of the 21st Century.
Current list of NFI Facilities:
- Innovation Center at Skyline College in San Bruno, California
- Innovation Center at the Cove @ UCI Beall Applied Innovation in Orange County, California
- Innovation Center at South Mountain Community College, Phoenix, Arizona
- Mobile Innovation Center at Moreno Valley College, Moreno Valley, California
- Innovation Center in Compton, California
- Base 11 Rocketry Lab at UC Irvine, in Irvine, California
- Deloitte Foundation Innovation Lab at Cristo Rey High School Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Morgan State University Rocketry Lab (first of its kind at an HBCU) in Baltimore, Maryland